Guidelines for Vehicle Registration Marks
FORM AND MANNER OF DISPLAY OF REGISTRATION MARKS ON THE MOTOR VEHICLES
(AS PER PROVISIONS U/S 50 CMVR, 1989)
- The plate shall be a solid unit made of 1.0 mm aluminum conforming to DIN 1745 / DIN 1783 or ISO 7591.
- Border edges and corners of the plate shall be rounded to avoid injuries to the extent of approx.10 mm and the plates must have an embossed border.
- The plate shall be suitable for hot stamping and reflective sheet has to be guaranteed for imperishable nature for minimum five years. The first colour of legend and border should be done by hot stamping.
- The plate should bear the letters “IND” in blue colour on the extreme left centre of the plate. The letter should be one fourth of the size of letters mentioned in rule 51 and should be buried into the foil or applied by Hot stamping and should be an integral part of the plate.
- Each plate shall be protected against counterfeiting by applying chromium- based hologram, applied by hot stamping. Stickers and labels are not permitted.
- The plate shall bear a permanent consecutive identification number of minimum seven digits, to be laser branded into the reflective sheeting and hot stamping film shall bear a verification inscription.
The size of the plate for different categories of vehicles shall be :
- For two and three – wheelers 200 x 100 mm
- For Light Motor Vehicles / Passenger Cars 340 x 200 mm / 500 x 120 mm
- For medium commercial vehicles, heavy commercial vehicles and Trailer / Combination 340 x 200 mm
- In the case of motor cycles, the registration marks in the front shall be displayed parallel to the handle bar or on any part of the vehicle including mudguard facing the front instead of, on a plate in line with the axis of the vehicle.
- The registration mark exhibited at the rear of a transport vehicle shall be affixed to the vehicle on the right hand side at a distance not exceeding 1 mtr from the ground. The registration mark shall also be painted on the right and left side on the body of the vehicle in the case of a transport vehicle.
The letters of the registration marks shall be in English and the figures shall be in Arabic numerals and the letters and figures shall be embossed and hot stamped and shall be shown :
- In black colour on yellow background , in case of transport vehicles
- In other cases, in black colour on white background
- The registration mark shall be in two lines, the State code and registering authority code forming the first line and the rest forming the second line, one below the other. In models of vehicles, having no sufficient provision at the rear to exhibit the registration mark in two lines, it shall be sufficient if in such vehicles registration mark is exhibited in a single line.
- The registration mark on a light motor vehicle may be in the centre with illumination.